Contrary to popular belief, adult cats should not drink milk: they need water. Here are some tips to help you get enough hydration. Milk is for breastfeeding kittens. After that, water is sufficient, and should even be selective as an adult digests lactose poorly, and this can lead to stomach problems (cramps, diarrhea, etc.). To be able to drink when he feels needed, it is important to have regular water, which will be changed at least twice a day (morning and evening, for example).
Requirements vary. It is estimated that cats should drink between 40 and 60 ml of water per kilogram of body weight, but this can rise up to 100 ml (especially if it is hot). Food plays an important role, as kibble has less water than mash (canned food helps hydration).
To find out if the cat is drinking enough, you can do a simple test: for a few days, you pour water into a bowl using a graduated glass (measure). When changing the water, all you have to do is pour the rest into a bowl in the measuring cup, and calculate the difference compared to the original amount.
The cat drinks a lot
Over 100 ml per kilogram per day, especially at moderate temperatures, the drink becomes more and more questionable. This is called polydipsia, that is, extreme thirst and excess water. Urinary incontinence also increases. This may be due to physical factors (such as diabetes) or psychological factors (such as potency, an insatiable desire to drink regularly). If the condition persists (it may be temporary), it is important to talk to a veterinarian.
The cat does not drink enough
less than 30 ml per kilogram is very small. If the cat can get out, has it found a hole in the ground to quench its thirst as it moves? It is possible, but not impossible, over time, this explains low consumption at home (or simply because he is not always out). What should be considered?
- It is. Some cats do not like it, either because of the taste of the water bottle (you can change it in a glass bowl), or because they want to see what they are drinking clearly (in this case, a transparent dish can help. then it fixes, and realizing that most cats want to quench your thirst on the tap).
- Taste. The tap water (running water) may not be suitable for him, and if the cat does not like it… it does not like it. Filtering, bottled water or rainwater should be checked. A trick is (especially when the weather is hot) to give ice cubes and meat broth: cats need it. Give them Best Cat Drinks like milk that taste well.
If there is no relief, and if you notice any signs of distress, you should consult your veterinarian. Gently skin cat: if the crease stays on for a few seconds, there is a risk of dehydration. If it lasts a long time, and if the skin does not return to its original form, this triggers a fear of high density.
Normal drinking per day
First of all, know that the cat should drink, on average, 40 to 60 mL of water per kg and weight per day. If it is hot, he can drink up to 100 mL of water per day.
How much your cat drinks during the day depends largely on his diet. Of course, food also contains water, the quantity of which varies depending on the portion of the food consumed. Bottles contain less water than cans (moisture content above 70%) or more than a family share. In addition, besides the heat, the age of the animal as well as the ability to suckle are some of the factors that also affect the water needs of our friends.
- To find out if your cat drinks too much or too little, we recommend that you count the total amount of water that you drink per day.
- This simple test is simple, lasting two to three days.
- Using a measuring cup, place a small amount of water in a bowl.
- Remember to change this water every 12 hours, preferably, to keep it clean and tidy. And measure the amount of water you removed, in order to remove it from the original amount of water.
- Also make sure that your cat never runs out of water during the day, this affects the outcome.
Kittens and adult cats are particularly prone to dehydration. They are less thirsty. To imagine if your cat is dehydrated, you should look at the “folded skin”. You have to squeeze the skin of your pet. If the skin returns to its original position immediately, your cat will not be dehydrated. If the “folded skin” persists for a few seconds, dehydration begins. Sometimes the “folded skin” stays longer and never disappears without intervention, and your pet becomes dehydrated. Meanwhile, dehydration is indicated by sunken eyes. If you notice that your pet is dehydrated, give it a little water and consult your veterinarian.
Outdoor heating tips
As the temperature rises, your cat, which is less sensitive, will have a harder time adjusting its body temperature. When you are at home, your cat is looking for cool places in the house and usually likes to lie down directly on the tile floor. He will reduce his work during the day when it is hot and probably work harder in the evening. Give him a chance to get into the cooler rooms of the house and change the water he has from time to time so that it stays at the right temperature.
On the other hand, if you are on the road, on vacation, your cat will not always have a chance to sleep in a cool place. She will be very stressed and so she adjusts her body temperature slightly. Give him a drink as often as possible, use an atomizer, spray him with water if he agrees.